As with sleeve gastrectomy, this course of begins with the surgeon removing a huge section of the stomach. The valve that releases food to the small gut is left, along with the first section of the small gut, called the duodenum. The surgeon then closes off the center half of the gut and attaches the final section straight to the duodenum. Here’s the duodenal swap. The separated half of the gut is now not eliminated from the physique. As a replacement, it’s reattached to the tip of the gut, allowing bile and pancreatic digestive juices to waft into this section of the gut. Here’s the biliopancreatic diversion. As a outcomes of these adjustments, food bypasses most of the small gut, limiting the absorption of calories and vitamins. This, along with the smaller size of the stomach, outcomes in weight reduction.
From Mayo Sanatorium to your inbox
Join free, and preserve up to this point on compare advancements, neatly being tricks and most up-to-date neatly being subject matters, find COVID-19, plus expertise on managing neatly being.
To produce you with potentially the most associated and precious knowledge, and understand which
knowledge is precious, we are in a position to also mix your email and location usage knowledge with
other knowledge we maintain now got about you. If that you would possibly maybe most definitely be a Mayo Sanatorium affected person, this would possibly maybe maybe
embody protected neatly being knowledge. If we mix this info along with your protected
neatly being knowledge, we are in a position to take care of all of that knowledge as protected neatly being
knowledge and will very best exercise or show that knowledge as earn forth in our gaze of
privateness practices. You would possibly maybe maybe maybe most definitely also decide-out of email communications at any time by clicking on
the unsubscribe hyperlink within the email.
June 25, 2022
- Farrell TM, et al. Clinical utility of laparoscopic bariatric surgical operation: An proof-primarily based evaluate. Surgical Endoscopy. 2009;23: 930.
- Spivak H, et al. Prolonged-time duration outcomes of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding and laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass within the United States. Surgical Endoscopy. 2012;26: 1909.
- Bariatric surgical operation for severe obesity. Nationwide Institute on Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Ailments. http://receive.niddk.nih.gov/publications/gastric.htm. Accessed Would possibly also 16, 2016.
- Kim RB. Bariatric procedures for the administration of severe obesity: Descriptions. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Would possibly also 16, 2016.
- Bariatric surgical operation procedures. American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgical treatment. http://asmbs.org/sufferers/bariatric-surgical operation-procedures. Accessed Would possibly also 16, 2016.